ICE System (Draft)
Guidance on how to set up a new EMIS GP Practice staff member
Raise a request with the relevant Trust's IT Service Desk.
If a GP member of staff works for multiple surgeries, they only need a single ICE account. If they historically have more than one account, this shouldn’t be a problem, but if technical issues arise, this would be an opportunity to recommend moving to a single account. If done, all EMIS systems used by the user would need to be updated to use the same singular ICE username.
If the user is a requester and is responsible for the requests, it is possible they can have the results sent directly back to them. To arrange this, they will need to setup as a 'Clinician' in the system. To do this, the ICE Team will need their GMC / Nursing / Other professional registration number.
If the user requires the ability to make Radiology requests, the user will need to be referred to the Radiology department to confirm if they have completed IRMER training. This is mandatory and needs to be done prior to requesting their ICE access:
- For UHBW email firstname.lastname@example.org for confirmation of IRMER training
- For NBT this will be done internally to get approval
Available ICE User Roles:
- GP – GP: Doctor
- GP – Non GP Req: Clinician, but not a GP (e.g. Nursing staff)
- GP – XR GP NP: Nurse allowed under protocol to order Radiology
- GP – Viewers: User who will not make requests (e.g. Admin staff)
NB There is currently a new role under development with the BNSSG ICE Radiology User Group for First Care Practitioners. Once approved, this will offer AHPs their own bespoke role to have requesting permissions in ICE.
Information required when request an ICE account:
- The user’s full name followed by job title in brackets. For example; John Smith (Med Sec)
- Name of the Practice(s) they work at
- Practice's/User’s phone number
- User’s NHS email address.
- Date they need their access to start
- GMC / Nursing / Other professional registration number (if applicable)
NB If the GP user is also a prescriber, the surgery must add the prescribing access to the EMIS account before the ICE access. If they do not, the prescriber's code will be what EMIS tries to use as the ICE username. If this occurs, the surgery will need to remove the access to both, then re-add the prescribing access first, before then adding the ICE access.
Once account(s) have been created, the ICE usernames will be sent directly to the individual who logged the request with the Trust’s IT Service Desk. Once usernames have been provided, inputting these details into EMIS will be the responsibility of someone at the surgery who is trained in EMAS Manager.
If there are any issues when accessing ICE, please provide a screenshot(s) of any error messages given and provide numbers and names of all affected to the support emails given below.
NBT ICE support - Email: email@example.com
UHBW (Bristol) ICE Support - Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
UHBW (Weston) ICE Support - Email: wnt-tr.ICEsupport@nhs.net